Our special book for World Book Day was Commotion in the Ocean. We had lots of exciting activities based on our book. It was a really fun day.
In reception we always try to make our learning fun. We don’t like lots of work sheets or excercise books. We love to learn through play and be outdoors whenever possible.
- Share at least 1 book together as a class. A wide variety of fiction and non fiction books are available for children to look at independently as well as audio books.
- Have lots of conversations. How are you feeling today? What would you like to do? Focus on the child's interests open questions who, what, why, where, when, how? Whenever possible we are led by the children's interests. We love to listen to your children’s ideas like they are the most wonderful thing we have ever heard. Sometimes they are!
- PLAY PLAY PLAY! We can be a princess, a flower, a spider, an astronaut or whatever your child wants us to be.
- Practical hands on maths. This could be when tidying up eg; how many pencils go there? Playing a game, hopscotch, board games, noughts and crosses etc etc
- Art! Paint, draw, make, dance, sing. It doesn’t have to be a ‘thing’ you can make just to enjoy making. Outdoors too! A birds nest of grass or a castle of sticks and stones. Collect some of natures treasures to make a picture or display. Make up a song or dance be SILLY!
- Discover. What happens if you leave an ice cube outside? Look for signs of Spring. Make toast, why has the bread changed colour/why does it feel different? Plant a bulb or seed, what does it need to grow?
- Stay active. Walk, run, climb. Ride a scooter or bike, dance, skip, throw & catch a ball. Roll a tyre or hoop.
If you would like any ideas to support your child's learning at home please do not hesitate to contact me.
We love to hear about children's acheivments at home, you can keep us updated via Evidence Me.
Miss Richardson, Mrs Pratt, Mrs Fenton and Miss Shea.
Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Let's go fly a kite.
Then let's make our own kites.
Puddles and powder paint